Last night I had this older lady at the bar begging me for a job. She claimed that she only wanted X amount of hours otherwise all her unemployment and her kid's government assistance would be taken away. She has two kids, 11 & 14. She also had already spent roughly $40 on herself and others within an hour. Okay... So the whole time I'm thinking:
Seriously that shit right there pisses me off. I am so glad that part of my paychecks go to helping people like this. (I am all for helping people who truly, 100% need it and appreciate it. I understand that people have hard times and there are programs out there that help them BUT I'm only for them when those people that are being helped are finding ways to help themselves too.)
WIC or other food stamps for example. I see people at Festival have two transactions. One transaction has all their WIC approved foods and regular foods...then the next one is a couple bottles of liquor. So you can afford to buy your liquor but you need OUR help, OUR money to help buy your food? Yet you still have enough money to go out that night? To drink, gamble? Go shopping? I'm glad part of my paycheck just saved you enough to go buy those cute Silver jeans!
Badgercare or other health programs. When I was going to Options for my birth control that's the program I used. I appreciated it and always donated when I'd leave. I have since stopped going and canceled my Badgercare because I'm on my parents insurance. What I don't like is the girls/guys that abuse the awesome system they have set up there. Girls going in and being offered any number of birth control options, tons of useful health information and education and they still show up pregnant or infected because they weren't smart. Then who pays for the medications or other fixes? Us, out of our paychecks. Awesome, I'm glad I just paid for so-and-so's 6th pregnancy test.
I know all of this probably sounds mean but what I'm really trying to get across is that I'm so sick and tired of people not helping themselves. People are so lazy these days. They'd rather live off the government than get a real job and work hard. I see it in bars especially. People are too broke to buy food for themselves but they can spend $5 on drinks all night but make the perfect excuse for why they can't tip me that night. That dollar or two I could have gotten out of them isn't going to make or break my night but it's just the idea that they'd rather keep it so they can keep drinking rather than throw a couple bucks my way for serving them all night.
I am just annoyed knowing that money I work hard to earn gets taken from me to go towards people who I don't believe deserve it. I feel like people are getting the mind set of being dependent on the government and are afraid to work because their benefits will get cut. Get out and earn your own money and stop spending mine!